Wednesday 8 May 2013

Today

Today I am hopeful. Hopeful for my dream to come true, hopeful to see the world one day and hopeful for everyone who isn’t.  Earlier in the week I wasn’t hopeful, I was thinking about what it would be like when I’d finally be able to walk away: on my sitting couch, with incense in the background – I must admit, I’ve thought about it so often, I have it all planned out: with lists, action plans & budgets. 

But that night I received a message from a close friend of mine, a picture of her & her husband with a blackboard which had the message: ‘now it’s the three of us’.  My heart skipped a beat.

They’ve been trying to conceive for a long time, like a really really long time.  She gave up her favourite dessert wine from Stellenbosch – which is fantastic and can only be brought on the wine farm - to give her body the best chance to become a mother.  It didn’t happen, even after tests, doctor visits and fertility treatment.  I called my mother right away, as my mother & I have been praying for her.  My mother prays.  She prays every morning, on her knees, like the picture we all know from the children’s Bible.  She prays with dedication, love and honesty. She never stops praying.  And we prayed for Lisa to become a mother.  It happened.

I realised that miracles happen, long after we expect them to.  Long after we’ve made our plans.  For Lisa & her husband it’s a miracle, but for me it’s a sign to not give up hope.  To still believe.

To be hopeful that when I get to walk away it will be to something great: for happiness, for adventure, for my heart and with the enthusiasm of an 8 year old.