Monday 28 October 2013

Film sequence

    
Constructing a sequence is one of the first things they teach you in film school.  It consists of frames, each with each own action, that comes together as a chase sequence or a killing sequence or a fashion show sequence.

In an Episode of Criminal Minds, Reed comments that human emotions aren’t linear and that it cannot be altered by one event or announcement.  It takes a multitude of years, experiences or faith to overcome the tragedy that happens to all of us.

Normally, one can’t remember that definitive moment where your heart, mind and body aligned to finally move away from the tragedy – its as if you wake up one morning and realize that you’re ok again.  You somehow made peace with what happened, not necessarily in the fact that its ok, but rather that it’s a part of life.  And shit happens.

I believe that there are multiple things that can assist in reaching this point.  A lot of people say time heals, others believe in keeping busy or getting away to a secluded place where you can face your demons and deal with them.  If it’s a breakup – most girls would recommend girls night, many bottles of wine and chocolate. And for the evenings for when the heartache strikes, romantic comedies with a box of tissues. 

I tend to think being around people that care about you helps.  On one occasion, I went to my friends house late on a Saturday afternoon, bursting into tears the minute she opened the door.  She was busy getting ready to go out, and sat with me the entire afternoon as I spilled my guts.  Perhaps I felt safe enough to burst into tears, smudge my make up a ruin a date to cry my heart out about what I know was busy happening, but didn’t want to face.

Not sure what the exact recipe is for getting over, or moving on from the shit we face.

One day, there will be that one moment, that one morning where you’ll feel like yourself again.  Where the past will play like a sequence in your head, from beginning to end.  You’ll feel a small part of your heart ache as you remember what had happened, but later as you watch the rest, you get to a place of contentment. A place of being ok with what happened and perhaps, knowing that you grew from it.

Whether its after a certain amount of chocolate… Or glasses of wine.  I don’t know, at this point, I prefer popcorn. 


Might as well enjoy the movie, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment