Thursday 27 February 2014

Context



We pride ourselves as knowing – whether that’s a theoretical knowledge, or a practical knowledge, we know stuff.  Or we think we do.  

How much of what we know is context? How much do we actually know – when taken out of context?  Landing in a new city has given me a unique type of knowing, or for that matter – not knowing. Realizing that my knowledge is very much depended on a familiar context.  In India, where I cannot pronounce half the words I read, where cabdrivers ignore me half the time and with more culture/ traditions that I ever realized – my context is non-existing.

My familiarity with what I, supposedly, know went right out the window.  The process might be the same, and the outcome something similar to what I know but for this foreigner, knowledge-wise I'm starting from square one.  

I have to take a map and point to where I want to go.  I (tried) to adapt a slightly more Indian accent and I eat local food.  At least a start: I’ve learned my way around the metro, can say thank you in Hindi (Dhanyavaad – and spell it correctly!) and know the surrounding areas to the office.  And for the rest of it, hand signs do work! 

I won’t classify myself as a super knowledgeable person – but I do read a lot: anything I can lay my hands on: newspapers, blogs and books.  I like to know and understand the real world, and I hate ignorant people.  But then again, I read about things that interest me: politics, people, good food, art, history, architecture and of course the films.  Who doesn’t like the movies?!

A couple of laughs later, a couple of swearing very loudly (in my head) and a lot of deep breaths – knowing that I don’t know, that’s fine.  For now.  I will learn, understand, enquire and spend my spare time learning about this fascinating place that I call home for now. 

And in the meantime, Im not ashamed to ask for directions…

No comments:

Post a Comment