Monday 19 May 2014

The day

I remember the day I sat on her bed, watching her apply her makeup. I was teasing her, make up for both of us, is a rare occasion… She looked at me in the mirror and smiled. To spend the time on make up, it had to be a big deal. 

She’s been eyeing this guy for weeks. A mutual friend found an excuse to invite him over and she loved it.  They chatted, clicked and he asked her out on a date.

She returned from their first date, saying that she’s going to marry him. Marriage?! Really? After one date… I'm a bit of a realist, but she knew what she wanted and found it in him. 

He took her hand as they went up the escalator.  They had cocktails, watched a movie and I guess, the rest is history. 

I watched them share, grow and fall in love.  Something with a whole lot of magic.  It was as if they found the other piece of the puzzle in one another.  A team.  A bond.  A family.

I watched them dance at their wedding, him singing loudly to her. I remember looking down and saw her dress twirl.

Now, a couple of years later – it’s as if I have a second family.  Im godmother to the dogs, I visit them and the sheets for the spare room, were chosen with me in mind.  I love them, their family – the other bit of it.

They taught this realistic, probably more pessimistic person about love.  They taught me what a marriage looks like and they send me a box filled with home goodies, across oceans, because Im missing home. The best part of the box – a photo of them. 

1 comment:

  1. Love u my maatjie. Dit is sulke mooi posts wat jy skryf, gaan dit beslis dophou!

    ReplyDelete